ASK THE RECRUITER!
Today we will be talking about how to make your resume stand out from the others! Resumes are the first thing an employer looks at, it is the deciding factor when it comes to scheduling an interview so that is why it needs to be perfect! In previous blogs, we have talked about what NOT to include and the common mistakes that are made on resumes. Now, we will talk about what you NEED to include for a flawless resume!
Here are 6 tips to a perfect resume:
- Make sure your resume is easy to read. Pick a simple font, for example Times New Roman. You do not need to dress up your resume with different fonts, you can dress it up with your experience instead!
- Make sure to include contact information. This includes:
- Full Name (no middle name required)
- Phone number (or numbers if there is more than one phone number you can be reached at)
- An email address (make sure your email address is appropriate, don’t choose one you used when you were younger). Create an email address strictly for jobs, a simple one that is not too confusing and is appropriate.
- You can also add your LinkedIn account if you have one, this also gives employers an idea of work history and level of professionalism.
- Use words straight from the job description that you are applying for. If there are a lot of applicants for one job, a lot of employers will not take the time to go through every single one. Instead, they might use words from the job description as a filter to eliminate resumes that do not fit their criteria.
- Be descriptive. Instead of using basic titles, for example Accounting. Be more specific about what type of accounting you were doing. Were you in Accounts Receivable or Accounts Payable? This will help the employer filter through resumes if they see your specific experience.
- Make sure to include your certifications if you have any. First Aid or CPR certifications are appealing for any job. If you have specific experience working with a type of machinery, make sure to include that as well.
- Lastly, don’t make a long list of responsibilities you had in previous work experience. Leave that for your list of duties when describing the job. Instead, make a list of achievements from prior work experience.
Use these 6 tips when creating your resume, or go through your existing one and make the necessary changes. Resumes are the key to your success, they are the foundation of your job search and applications. Make it appealing, sell yourself!